Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Facsimile Dustjackets, LLC


Facsimile Dustjackets, LLC sells, well, facsimile dustjackets of rare and valuable books.

From the site...

I spent over 20 years in commercial printing working with images in traditional and
digital pre-press departments and manipulating film and computer files for printing
on offset presses. I have found that the skills I developed during those years have
been a huge asset in achieving the results I want with these jackets. In June of 2001
I left the company I was working for to focus all my time on these jackets. In fall of
2002 I put together my web site and I had Black and White Books remove my
listings from AbeBooks.

As of August 2011, I have scanned over 35,000 different titles. If you include
variants and duplicates, I've scanned well over 50,000 jackets. Many of these will
never make it onto my website as some are too damaged to restore, some so
common that it is not logical to restore them, and some so obscure that I'm likely
never to get a request for them. However, these jackets are still an important
component to the Dust Jacket Archives.

Offering facsimiles of these jackets is how I support the Dust Jacket Archives
project and is a way that everyone can have access to these great jackets. People
order jackets for many reasons. They’ve been used as props in plays or movies
and for bibliographic resources. Family members of the authors or artists have
purchased them as well as publishers who wish to produce or reissue a book. I’ve
had magazines purchase them to use in a story they are running. However, these
jackets are mostly purchased by collectors who wish to protect their books with a
quality facsimile, allowing them to enjoy the artwork on a jacket they might otherwise
never see.

No comments: