Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy 200th Birthday, Edgar Allan Poe


The macabre writer celebrates a birthday today and many folks are taking notice.

The New York Times' Paper Cuts blog showcases his works and manuscripts, via slide show. They also included a bit about how the NY Times celebrated his birth 100 years ago.

Across the pond, The Guardian asks the question, with Poe as part of our "cultural furniture," "Should we still bother to read him?" The short answer: Yes. They also have a Poe Quiz for those who consider themselves to be a literary smartypants.



But there's more on this, his happy day! You can watch a video with Poe reenactors at his old home.

Personal note: When I was a kid I had two books that I read voraciously. The short stories of Jack London and the short stories of Edgar Allan Poe. Both, I do believe, shaped me and made me want to write my own stories. My favorite Poe piece of fiction? This one.



And, no Poe post would be complete, without Vincent Price reading "The Raven":

1 comment:

Rob Velella said...

Thanks for the link to that Poe quiz - I hadn't seen it before. I scored a 10 out of 10, by the way! Thanks for recognizing Poe on his 200th.