Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jon's Writing in Halftime Magazine


I've been a trombone player since 5th grade.

"Your mouth is too big for the trumpet mouthpiece," said Mr. Mill, my 5th grade band director. "Why don't you try the trombone?"

"If I HAVE to."

Of course, I didn't really have to. Mr. Mill just needed a trombone player in his band. I'm glad he chose me for that esteemed position since playing the trombone has been an integral part of my growing up.

Because of that trombone I got...
1) To go to Europe (and, by extension, eat roasted pigeon in a Dutch convent).
2) To go to Washington, DC (and, by extension, to climb to the top of the nation's capitol building without anyone noticing except a disgusted janitor).
3) To go to the Hoquiam Loggers Play Day (and, by extension, get those loggers pissed off when we shouted "Save the spotted owl!"
4) Engaged (and, by extension, dumped).

And there's the big stuff, too, like lasting friendships, fellowship with like-minded geeks, and playing Toto's "Africa" for our 7th-grade band concert.

Also? I found Halftime Magazine (since I've been a member of many a marching band). I wrote my first feature for them in the July/August issue. It's about halftime drill writers. You can read it online here.

No comments: