Friday, January 11, 2008

What I'm Writing, What I'm Reading

With the new year comes new stories that I've been fortunate enough to be able to work on them...



For Stage Directions Magazine I'm writing about the difficulties of young playwrights to actually have their plays produced. Oftentimes, theater companies give readings and workshops for new plays but that's as far as it goes. The New York Times has described the situation as "development hell." I'm writing about certain organizations in the country, including 13P in New York City trying to make this hell a little more heavenly.



For Northwest Magazine I'm visiting Tacoma this weekend as I partake in the auditions for Rhubarb. Rhubarb? What the heck is Rhubarb? Rhubarb, my dear friends, is the mascot for the Mariners minor league baseball team, the Tacoma Rainiers.



For Fine Books & Collections Magazine I'm doing some short pieces about some books that fetched high prices last year at auction. One, for instance, was a copy of the Declaration of Independence that a man found at a thrift shop in Tennessee. He paid under $3 for it and it sold at auction recently for nearly $500,000.

I'm also doing some reviewing of books and music.



Books are being reviewed for Bookslut and Earthwalkers Magazine. One is a novel about the life and times of Robert Frost. The others - a collection of travel essays and a book about a man who followed in the footsteps of Herodotus (pictured above).



Music is being reviewed for Venuszine, including The Eels (pictured above) new album and also for Now on Tour.

So, yeah, I'm pretty busy. It feels great!

No comments: