Monday, January 21, 2008

100 Books Every Child Should Read


My local library is going to have to contend with me and my daughter now that we'll be in their so often checking out books that have been listed on the Telegraph. It's a rather complete guide to all things children's literature, from the early "I can't read" years to the teenage "I can handle Charles Dickens" years. "If children are to become readers for life, they must first love stories," it reads. I couldn't agree more. We read constantly to our four-year-old, stories about pigs and princesses, volcanoes and vampire bats. Currently, we're into star-gazing and have been poring over this book. Now that she's starting to know her constellations ("This guy looks like he's going potty!") she's starting to know Greek mythology ("Her hair was made of snakes?!") and that's the great thing about reading. You read something to a child and it just opens up all these other worlds. So, if you don't have a kid of your own, find one, and read to him or her. It's good for you and better for them.

No comments: