Monday, October 15, 2007

Watterson and Schulz


In the Wall Street Journal, "Calvin and Hobbes" creator Bill Watterson reviews the much-talked about biography of "Peanuts" creator Charles Schulz. Written by David Michaelis, Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography is a 655 page tome. Waterson says, in part, "Mr. Michaelis has done an extraordinary amount of digging and has written a perceptive and compelling account of Schulz's life." The Schulz family, by the way, isn't pleased.

My grandmother lived near the Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa. I remember walking through the exhibits hoping to see the man himself (I didn't). My sister even more so because she, to this day, has a Snoopy collection. I was never fond of Snoopy myself (though I did like my sister's Snoopy Sno-Cone machine when I was younger). Snoopy tried to hard to be the life of the party. I always appreciated Schroeder, a true artist who didn't have time for those that didn't appreciate his genius.

Oh, don't forget to take the quiz "Which Peanuts Character Are You?"

No comments: