Friday, October 19, 2007

Favorite Websites


I had an earlier post where I mentioned my Top Ten Favorite Blogs. I then thought to myself, can I distill all my favorite websites into a Top Ten List? There are quite a few pages I frequent and read religiously and plenty more I skim over for brief interludes of edification. That said...

My Top Ten Favorite Websites (in no particular order):
1) News Map. A great site, it shows you a map of the world. Click on any country and it'll give you the latest news of that country. Zoom in to a particular country, say, South Africa, and you can click on a particular city, say Capetown, and get the news of that particular city.
2) McSweeney's Internet Tendency. The most consistently funny website on the internet (though The Onion isn't too shabby on the laugh-o-meter).
3) Take a Curious Expedition. Labeled as "traveling and exhuming the extraordinary past" the site is a daily intriguing romp through history.
4) The folks at Slate know how to put together a news site. Yes they do.
5) It goes without question that Wikipedia needs to be on this list. Where else would I learn, on just one site, that the Susquehanna River is 444 miles long, that field hockey was played 4000 years ago in ancient Egypt, and the horseshoe crab is a chelicerate arthropod?
6) Have you found a note on the ground and wanted to share it with others? That's what the folks at Found help you do. Each day they post (usually a very funny) note, or grocery list, or photograph found on the street, in a library book, crumpled up at a school playground, for the rest of us to enjoy. Thanks, Found.
7) Do you like trivia? I do. I've tried out for Jeopardy! twice. The college tournament I tried out for (and failed) and the regular show I tried out for as well. I passed the test, played a mock game in a hotel conference room in Portland, Oregon, but, sadly, they never called me on the show. No matter. I can still play intelligent games at QToro.
8) For whatever reason, I'm obsessed with some storks living in Europe. They're away from their nest now, but I can't help but check to see if they're home.
9) Perhaps a bit morbid, but I learn about all sorts of fascinating people via the New York Times Obituary page.
10) Truthdig drills beneath the headlines to tell you what's REALLY going on in the world.
11) Am I allowed an 11th? Please?! Cool. I give you the Nietzsche Family Circus.

These lists are kind of fun. Coming soon: Top Ten Favorite Magazines, Top Ten Favorite Novelists, Top Ten Top Ten Lists (I kid).

No comments: