Saturday, July 14, 2007

Greens Restaurant Profiled in Metro.Pop Magazine


Find Issue #30 on the newsstands now. "The fashion magazine for the rest of us," is a smartly designed well-photographed fashion magazine that I've written for on a couple of occassions now. In the current issue I wrote a short profile on Greens Restaurant, a pioneer in vegetarian cuisine. The Executive Chef is Annie Somerville.

Favorite line in the story: "It's not every day you hear this from a restauranteur: 'I began as a way to further my Zen practice and support the sangha.' Then again, it's not every day you run across a restaurant like Greens, one of the premier vegeterian restaurants in the country.

My grandmother, when I was a kid, lived in Sebastapol, north of San Francisco. I don't remember ever visiting Greens but I can't forget Fisherman's Wharf eating soup out of a bread bowl ("The bowl is made of bread? I can eat the bowl?!") or visiting this hole-in-the-wall ice cream shop that offered about 101 different flavors. I distinctly remember eating rose ice cream. My brother ate tomato ice cream. What was he thinking?

Anyway, please find a copy of Metro.Pop Magazine at any major book retailer. You'll find my story on page 50. Thanks and happy eating!

No comments: